Tuesday, January 20, 2015

A day at Faberge store in London!

There are some moments in life that come as a surprise and completely unexpectedly.
One of these days was in November 2014 when I visited my new friend Rene Serres (to whom I was introduced from my good friend Janaina Baxebani the same week at Kensington Palace at the event of the Greek organization “LAT” - Life action Trust).
Rene is the man in charge of the Fabergé jewellery firm in London and as we wanted to catch up and get to know each other better he invited me & Vassilis Zoulias in the store while we were in London basically just doing nothing.
The House of Fabergé and its’ lavish creations have been my fantasy for years and when he invited me I went without any hesitation, although I felt like I was in some kind of gold rush, because I wanted for many years to see these beautiful creations from a closer point of view.
Well I got as close as anyone can expect! When we went at the store (a beautiful store at  14A Grafton Street which resembled a Faberge egg!) Rene greeted us very friendly and although we were surrounded by diamonds which cost millions we felt like home.
After discussing what we do in Athens and our future plans he showed us the place and he offered me to try on a bracelet with diamonds and rubies which I was drawn by it and I was like hypnotized by it.
It is called Kokoshnik Bangle and it features round white diamonds, alexandrites and rubies set in 18 carat white gold.
It’s very difficult to describe how it feels to wear something so beautiful and how intoxicating it is to have it on your body, I can only say that I didn’t want leave it.  Ever. I asked the price and Rene told me: “You don’t want know!” He was right!
We live in a period of time where luxury products are being demonized and era considered the devil because of the global financial crisis but I have a different opinion about this subject matter. Jewellery is art and art can never be vulgar in any extent or form as long as it embodies respect for humanity through the medium it uses to express itself.
I understand that this kind of art cannot be bought be the common man so as Michelangelo’s sculptures, but this does not stop us from admiring them.
I feel that I apologized enough but I made my point. Luxury is not the opposite of poverty, is the opposite of vulgarity Coco Chanel said.
Finally I gave it to Rene and he placed it very carefully back in its place taking it very carefully as a baby and polishing it before putting it back, and I saw the love and admiration for the Faberge heritage in his eyes.
He must have felt my melancholy of separation with the bracelet and gave me two Faberge luxurious catalogs as a gift.
As I was leaving the store I felt better because I knew that the beautiful bracelet will go to someone who will truly love and appreciate its beauty and art.

That was definitely the highlight of my trip in London and I will definitely visit his amazing place again, to see my friend (and the bracelet).












No comments:

Post a Comment